Dessert Party: Crochet Apron
- Item #: 4-HWU6809
- Manufacturer: Vashti Braha
This apron is designed for use by home bakers and dessert party hostesses. With half of one cone of pure white Sugar ‘n Cream cotton, it’s as practical as a store bought cloth apron but pretty enough for a French maid.
Dessert Party Apron would be a quick gift to crochet for yourself, and another for a friend who loves to bake. The construction is fun: you make the waistband first (it’s a narrow rectangle). Then, the lacy skirt is crocheted onto it and you stop when it’s the length you prefer. Crochet the apron ties or add pretty ribbon ties.
There is zero shaping involved, and the fancy frosting-like layers make the most of every available stitch loop.
One size fits most.
Waistband (the decorative part to which skirt is attached): 22 inches/56 cm; ties that attach to the waistband can be any length.
Length (measured hung): 12.5 inches/32 cm
This length is meant to be a helpful guideline. Apron is worked from the top down and this makes it easy to customize the length. Stated length requires just under 8oz/227g (405yds/368m) of yarn. Also, keep in mind that unmercerized cottons such as Sugar ’n Cream or Peaches & Creme change dimensions when damp vs. air-dried vs. machine washed & dried.
- Yarn: Lily Sugar ’n Cream Yarn One Pound Cone, White or preferred color; (100% Cotton, 805yds/736m per 16oz/454g cone): half of one cone. Note: Pisgah Yarn and Dyeing Co.’s Peaches & Crème yarn (100% Cotton, 690yards/631meters per 14oz/396g) may be substituted but the cone is 14oz/396g instead of 16oz/454g, so you might not have quite enough yarn on one of these cones for two aprons. (Then again, you might but it’s too close to say: the finished apron pictured weighs 6.8 oz/193 g.) Yarn tip: Most yarns have more drape, and are less absorbent, than this yarn. Therefore, most other yarns will give a noticeably different result. In place of Sugar ’n Cream or Peaches & Crème, match the total number of yards/meters required for your size of a smooth yarn and that calls for a size 5mm-5.5mm crochet hook/knitting needle. For example, for one apron you would need 3 skeins of Plymouth Yarn Co.’s Fantasy Naturale, or 4 skeins of Tahki’s Cotton Classic or Berroco’s Love It. Look for yarns with cotton, linen, or hemp content.
- Crochet Hooks, 3 sizes needed: 4.5mm (US G-7) for the waistband, or size needed to obtain gauge; 5mm (US H-8) & 5.5mm (US I-9) for the lacy skirt.
- Optional: Two equal lengths of 1.25-inch/3.5-cm wide ribbon for apron ties (depending on desired fit around waist), and matching sewing thread and needle for attaching. (For a medium-sized waist, I crocheted two 22-inch/56-cm lengths.) Pattern includes instructions for crocheted ties.
- Skill Level: Easy-intermediate (combined construction techniques & tall stitches)